Saturday, November 28, 2015

Advertisement - Continue Reading BelowScientific data is inconclusive, but we estimate that there are about a million reasons to break up with Valentine's Day. Cheesy cards and foil-wrapped chocolates are two of them. Edible Arrangements are a third.
And yet despite such evident flaws, the holiday is not without its merits. Love is good and important and delicious. No one knows that better than food blogger Molly Yeh.
The madcap genius behind My Name is Yeh graduated from Juilliard with a degree in percussion, followed her heart and boyfriend to a farm just outside of Grand Forks, North Dakota, and fulfilled hopes and dreams we didn't even know we had in her invention of scallion pancake challah. A few weeks ago, she married the man known to her readers as "eggboy," and the Internet swooned.
More from Countdown to Valentine's Day11 articles How to Have a Chic Valentine's Day at Home valentine's day gift guide What ELLE.com Editors Want to Give and Get This... Advice From Patti Stanger: How to Go to a Bar... The Sexiest Lingerie to Wear Under Your... Just as the best romances, it all seems a little too good to be true—the impromptu fondue parties, the marzipan garnishes, her perfect wedding album. But it's real. The woman has a heart-shaped Dutch oven to prove it.
Given that, we asked Yeh to help us reclaim the celebration of sentiment—to save it from Mylar balloons and fluorescent lighting. Unlike our ex-boyfriends, she did not disappoint.
"Not everything has to be pink and chocolate-y and sappy all the time," Yeh offered the recalcitrant among us. "You don't have to put a lot of pressure on yourself to make it the best, most romantic day ever. Just treat yourself to something nice. Treat the person you love to something nice. Do something small. Do something unexpected."
And remember to have fun. Yeh always does. One time she made boob cakes. Are you in love with her yet?

What spells L-O-V-E to you?

Paying attention to the little things, I think. It's not the big gestures—flowers or chocolates. It's [things] like [my husband] seeing that I've had a long and hard day and washing out my frosting bowl and sticking it in the dishwasher for me, or telling me to go to sleep early because I'm tired, or surprising me with Chinese food.
It's just about being thoughtful. I have this burning memory of this stage in my life where I was trying to be healthy. I was trying to cut out sugar. I was running every day. I was in really great shape. And this ex-boyfriend of mine showed up to my house with a massive cream puff, thinking it was this romantic gesture. And I was just like, "I have to eat this now, and, no, I don't want to! I would much rather you paid attention to my desire to be healthy." That was not romantic. He should have showed up in running shoes. With broccoli.

What is one super sappy cliché that you secretly love?

Oh, this is so sappy, but every Valentine's Day that I've been with [my husband] I wake up and realize that every day of that year has basically been one big Valentine's Day just because I am so happy to be with him. To wake up and feel loved is so special. And I genuinely have that feeling every day. That's so mushy. That's the most mushy that I'm going to get, but it's true.

If flavors could be couples, which would you vote Prom King and Queen?

Macaroni and cheese. Are those flavors?

How should single guys and gals survive the gushiest day of the year?

Hang out with your girlfriends and eat cake and watch  The Notebook. Or do the guy equivalent of that. Play a video game. There's not a bad thing about that. I mean, the worst Valentine's Days are not when you're single. The worst Valentine's Days are when you're with someone that you know you shouldn't be with. So don't try to go out and find a date for Valentine's Day. That's dumb. Have a date with a cake or something. Treat yourself to a cake. That's my final answer: Cake.

How do you plan to revel in Valentine's Day this year?

Well, I leave for my honeymoon this week. [My husband and I] will be in Salzburg…at a 1,200-year-old restaurant. I think it's the oldest restaurant in the world. Apparently Mozart ate there. And apparently Charlemagne ate there. And I am just going to have so much schnitzel and cake and that is just going to be the happiest time ever. I am very excited.

Here, Molly shares her Low-Key Lovers Breakfast (No shades of pink were harmed in the making of this recipe):

On Saturday, some of us will bake cupcakes for our significant others or make chocolate soufflés and whip heavy cream. Some of us will buy roses or cards or cufflinks. And some of us will break into hives.
But for those of us allergic to syrupy sentiment, there is hope. For as long as she can remember, Molly Yeh has had a pretty big crush on Valentine's Day. Given that she got married a few weeks ago, this year's celebration is especially sweet.
In anticipation of her favorite holiday, we asked Yeh to share a recipe for a simple, savory dish that even the averse among us can prepare for the people we—okay, fine—adore.
We promise it will be okay. Sriracha is involved. And she wrote it in Emoji.

No comments:

Post a Comment